On Sept 23, 2020. the Government committed to action on critical issues for seniors in the Speech from the Throne. This will include:
- Increasing Old Age Security once a senior turns 75, and boosting the Canada Pension Plan survivor benefit.
- Taking additional action to help people stay in their homes longer.
- Working with the provinces and territories to set new, national standards for long-term care.
- Creating a new Canadian Disability Benefit modelled after the GIS and a better process to determine eligibility for disability programs and benefits.
- Accelerating steps to achieve a national, universal pharmacare program.
- Ensuring everyone—including in rural and remote areas—has access to a family doctor or primary care team.
Government of Canada