[Resource] How to Lower Your Fall Risk
Falls can be a serious risk to your health and safety. Here are some tips on how to avoid falls:
- Stop and smell the roses: take your time, don't rush when walking or getting up
- Keep stairs and walkways free of clutter, ice or snow
- Use hand rails and grab bars to keep you steady on your feet
- Balance your body through good nutrition, hydration, and gentle stretching exercises
- Keep an eye on your vision and get your sight checked regularly
- Know what you are taking: talk to your pharmacist or doctor as some medications may make you prone to dizziness and falling
- Put your best foot forward in well-fitting, sturdy shoes
- Light up your life…and your hallways, stairs, and walkways!
- Check your home for slipping and tripping hazards
- Ask for help if you are worried about falling
Just in case…be prepared for what to do if you fall or witness a fall.
Government of Canada
Nov 08, 2023