[Toolkit] Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & Gender Expression (SOGIE) Safer Places Toolkit
In recent years, Alberta and Canada have made significant shifts towards the celebration and protection of LGBTQ2S+ people and their families. Gender identity and gender expression were added as protected grounds against discrimination in the Alberta Human Rights Act (2015) and Canada’s Human Rights Act (2017). In November 2017, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau delivered a historic apology to LGBTQ2S+ Canadians in the House of Commons, acknowledging and apologizing for decades of state-sponsored systematic oppression and rejection.
Who is this SOGIE Toolkit for?
The Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & Expression (SOGIE) Safer Places Toolkit is an introductory and practical tool for AHS healthcare teams including all employees and physicians, volunteers and contracted service providers. The goal is to increase awareness, encourage self-reflection and build skills to create more welcoming and safer care for LGBTQ2S+ people and their families. AHS is committed to providing a respectful environment, where staff are committed to safe, quality care. For more information, see Expectations and Responsibilities of our Healthcare Workforce, Patients and Families in Appendix B.
Alberta Health Services
Jun 02, 2023
- Organizational Development
- Mental Health and Wellness
- General Health and Wellness
- Non-profit / Charitable sector
- Information, Referral, & Advocacy
- Social Connectedness / Social Isolation
- Service Providers (Non-profits, Community Organizations, Local government)
- Government (Politicians, Policy Makers) and Health Authorities
- Organizational development
- Best Practices
- CBSS Supports & Services
- Research & Evidence
- Policy, Planning, & Procedures
- Participants & Intake