[Course] Cultural Humility at the End of Life
Cultural Humility at the End of Life Course
Monday, May 29 - Wednesday, June 28
In this course, you’ll learn about the role of cultural humility in palliative, hospice, and end-of-life care, from establishing partnerships to shared decision-making and bereavement. Through cohort-based learning, you’ll develop interdisciplinary collaborative practice skills and build inter-professional relationships that support culturally safe care delivery.
The online course includes 11 modules with post-module discussions and one live Zoom session.
- 1 - Building a Foundation for Cultural Safety
- 2 - Dispelling the monolithic myth
- 3 - How Bias and Worldviews Impact Healthcare
- 4 - Power Dynamics
- 5 - Applying an Intersectional Lens to Healthcare
- 6 - Social Determinants of Health
- 7 - Connecting the Past with the Present
- 8 - The Link Between Wealth and Health
- 9 - Access to Healthcare Systems
- 10 - Race, Racism, and Anti-Racism
- 11 - Culture and Communication
The total time commitment is 8 hours. Course delivery is online with one live session:
Online modules open May 29, 2023
Live session on Wednesday, June 28 from 10 am to 12 pm
Join to enhance your skills in providing culturally safe end-of-life care.
Who may be interested in this course?:
EVERYONE! Hospice and palliative care organization staff and volunteers, end of life and community workers from all sectors focused on advancing, caring or supporting person-centered care for people living with serious illnesses and during end of life may find added value in attending.
BCHPCA will provide bursaries for active hospice society members from rural and remote communities within all health authority regions upon receipt of a certificate of completion. There is a cap for reimbursement per health authority region.
For more information about BCHPCA bursaries, please contact Katie Yuen.
1. Is this an online-only course?
This course is being delivered by Victoria Hospice Society via online with one live session:
Online modules open May 29, 2023 and,
Live session on Wednesday, June 28, from 10 am to 12 pm
2. What are the course fees?
- Victoria Hospice staff and volunteers – no cost
- BC Hospice staff = $85, with 20% discount for three or more participants/organization. (Please contact Vicoria Hospice Society for the promo code)
- Students & volunteers = $35
- All other = $135
May 29, 2023
May 29, 12:00 AM - Jun 28, 11:59 PM